Tax Stop Complaint - Tax problem taking 3 years to resolve

Review by Chrisone on 2010-09-18
DENVER,, COLORADO -- I hired a company in Denver Colorado, Tax Stop, to help me with my IRS and State of California tax debt. After paying them $4500 and three years later, the State of Califoria attached my husbands wages, saying they never heard from Tax Stop. Two weeks ago, the IRS to my home, and said they have never heard from Tax Stop as well. I haved contacted Tax Stop to refund my money and I have been told that I am the problem. Please, please notify me if you are thinking of using this company. I am out $4500 and still have my tax problems, and now with interest and penalties.
Comments:1 Replies - Latest reply on 2010-09-18
Posted by raven2010 on 2010-09-18:
As someone who works for a law firm that collects various delinquent state taxes and other govt debt, I can tell you these types of places can do nothing for you that you cant do for yourself.

many states have "offer in compromise" programs that allow you to wipe out some of the fees, penalties and interest. Some require a lump sum for this, others allow payments.

The CA FTB has all the info you need on their website, no need to hire a third party. Some states have an amnesty program going on right now. Others will allow payment plans if you provide a financial statement PROVING you cant pay in full.

The IRS will let you stretch uor payments over five years. No third party is required for you to do any of this---just access the state or IRS website, or dial the phone.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.