Uhaul Informative - Moving Tips U-Haul
TEXAS -- This is for customers who want to make their moving less stressful as possible.
(1) when you move you need to realize that moving is listed as the 3rd most stressful thing that will take place in someone's life family death being number#1 and divorce number#2 so be patient and willing to work through anything that occurs.
(2)Most people are off Saturday/Sunday so this is always the worst time to get a truck/trailer. Try to schedule your move between MON-THURSDAY less people moving during the week also makes for prime picking of good, clean, new eq.
(3) Always try to reserve your truck/trailer 7/14 days in advance regardless if the moving center has no idea if you they will have eq. At least when you reach a boiling point with them they can't say that you were a last minute customer.
(4) 4 days before your scheduled to p/u your truck/trailer call the rental center to confirm the status of the availability of inventory. Always try to talk to somebody with status such as an Asst.Mgr or actual store Mgr. These employees have more to deal with and want to get you in a truck/trailer first that way they don't have to be bothered with phone calls. This also can give you a little time to have an alternative solution in case your move falls through.
(5) On the day before your move be more persistent if no eq is available find out if they can locate something in the area that you would be willing to drive and p/u. You can also get cheap eq this way if you have to drive 30 miles out of your way tell them you need to tow your car and give you a tow dolly or auto trailer for $1.00 or give you a better deal on the truck since it's costing you time and money.
(6) Be polite but stern if all your doing is cursing and yelling at the moving center employees their more likely to feel more comfortable giving your money back and tell you to go down the street.
(7) Stop by the moving center 1 or 2 days before your scheduled to p/u. Find out how many trucks/trailers that they are short on and where on the reservation list you stand. If your standing in the store they have to face you in person and know your somebody to be reckoned with on moving day. This also is a good time to scope out extra items such as utility dollies/pads if there seems to be an abundance laying around ask the customer rep if you get delayed on picking the eq up can they throw in free dolly and pads for your delay. They almost always say yes.
(8) Be smart,plan ahead and communicate with the moving center this will almost always guarantee you a good move.
(9) After you finished your move even if it went bad call the location you rented the eq from talk to a manager tell them the situation and be courteous even if it was horrible. Being courteous will put them in an up beat mood they will go out of their way to help the next customer not have a situation like yours. Also ask them to reimburse some of your move or give you an in store certificate. Cursing and yelling will only result in more frustration on your part. The employee could care less because you are cross country now and on the other side of a phone line. All he has to do is hang up and never see you again.
(10) Ask the moving company for moving brochures they always have helpful tips on proper moving read these brochures they can lifesavers.