Atlific Hotels Informative - Atlific Hotels does not adhere to the Child Maintenance Act

Review by nomercy on 2010-09-30
MONTREAL -- Atlific Hotels is a Management Company whose payroll department is centralized for many of the hotels they manage. The payroll department is in charge of deducting Court Ordered Child Maintenance Payments from employees of the company who have refused to pay them voluntarily. Atlific Hotels DOES NOT routinely make or submit these deductions to the Child Maintenance Agencies despite the Court Order and procedures mandated by the government under the Child Enforcement Act. As a result the child recipient of these payments often suffers undue hardship. I wonder how [snip - no names please] would feel if they were not paid for 3 months and were not able to provide for their families.

This company mentions 'family" as one of their core values yet their actions speak of another priority.

I suggest that Atlific Hotels:

Review their payroll practices and ensure child maintenance payments are made a priority and in accordance with the law.

The Child Maintenance Act calls for deductions to be submitted to maintenance enforcement agencies with in 5 days of when the deduction was made and this is not happening within Atlific Hotels payroll system.

Keep in mind that if deductions need to be made at the payroll level that the employee has refused to pay them voluntarily and perhaps councilling is needed.
Comments:5 Replies - Latest reply on 2010-10-03
Posted by madconsumer on 2010-09-30:
it all depends on the court order. if the person is not paying, then it is up to the recipient to take them back to court.
Posted by nomercy on 2010-10-01:
A court order for Child Maintenance is enough to have the individuals wages garnished and the employer is then forced to deduct the payments and distribute to the proper entity. In this case, I think the employer takes their time distributing the payments with the recipient sometimes waiting up to 3 months. The thing is; this is a grey area of court enforcement. Its one thing when the deadbeat father refuses to pay but when the employer of the deadbeat takes the deductions but then does not distribute them who should the recipient lobby to rectify this?
Posted by Skye on 2010-10-01:
As mad says, they should take the person who is to pay child support back to court. Not sure how they do it in Montreal. Some employees say in their employee handbooks they do not want to be responsible for the deductions to someone's paycheck for garnishments. It's up the individual to pay. It's not the fault of the employeer, it's the fault of the person who refuses to pay the child support. That's his/her responsibility. In the end, the child is the one who suffers.
Posted by ticia232 on 2010-10-01:
This may be a misscommucation between the court and his job.

I know because I went through that with my son. I got a child support order and my ex signed paper work to take it out of his check. (I was there when he signed the paperwork.) But for months nothing. Finally a county sheriff showed up at my apartment looking for my ex, for failure to pay child support to me.

I gave him the number to his job and also the copy that gave me about it supposed to come out of his paycheck. The sheriff called me later that day and apologized because a clerk never put the paperwork in.

I still think that the court should have to me the
money that wasn't taken out. It wasn't his fault or his job's fault. It was the court clerk's fault.
Posted by nomercy on 2010-10-03:
Canadas Rule for Garnishment are particularly strict.
Garnishment of wages can only occur after the creditor has filed for a court order and the judge ruling on the case has made a decision on the amount of wages to be garnished (as is the case with this particular complaint). The employer of the individual in debt will then be notified and legally obligated to extract a certain amount of income from the employee's salary. IF said employer does not do so they can also face court retribution and be fined and forced to pay the money themselves. Thats how is works in Canada.
Bottom line is; if the employer does not forward the money they deduct from employees, then they should and will face punishment from the law and in this case public humiliation.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.