Empire Carpet Complaint - Free estimate! Beware, nothing in life is free!!
FLORIDA -- So I set up an appointment for a FREE estimate on carpet and installation. The scheduled time window was from 3 to 5 pm. The salesperson came at about 4:30. He looked around, took some measurements and asked some questions. He went to his car and brought in 4 samples. That's it. When I asked about price he steered clear of answering. When I asked about manufactures, again he avoided answering. I knew only one of the samples was near what I could afford. still he quoted two. I asked about the manufacturer and price, again he danced around answering the questions. Finally I get a quote. That's what I was waiting for. Still no manufacturer. Then he proceeds to tell me that it's a free estimate, but for his time because he did come out here...He saw my face, slightly appalled I imagine, and said "let me start over. Forget I said That." Like I am really going to forget that he said that. He wanted a fifty dollar deposit. But all I wanted was an estimate. I rushed out the door to make it to my new house on time, assuming he may have done the same. I don't live there yet, because I need Carpet, so I didn't have a way to do a deposit. He goes outside to call his boss. Of course I eavesdropped the best I could without getting up. He comes back in and says his boss will let me do it with no deposit and knocked $261 off estimate. Why not give me that price to begin with? I'm still a little confused as to why I needed to place a deposit on estimated work, while I planned on still looking around. Then it comes, what day do you want to install it? I was placing an order. Since "I am not ready to decide yet" was not an acceptable, I let him proceed. If he wants to waste my time, I can waste his. It's now 6 pm. I'm hungry, I had errands to still do and I'm falling behind schedule. I decided to let him do whatever he was trying to do.
As I read the paper, I find after 3 days, I am in a binding contract that if I do cancel I am responsible to pay 15% of the estimated price. I had him write on the contract that I can cancel without penalty any time before the day of installation. Still I proceeded. After all the paper work was done and he was collecting his 4 samples and briefcase I asked again who is the manufacturer? "Oh, I don't know." wow. I looked at him..."Let me look it up." Finally "SHAW" When I went home and researched the carpet he pushed my way and no where does it say the KEEPSAKE II is a Shaw carpet, In fact I can't find it any where. Needless to say I cancelled the VERY NEXT DAY. All it cost me was a few minutes on the phone and a postage stamp. If only my estimate was that simple.