AT&T Informative - Tips from the inside
I work inside UVERSE TECH SUPPORT. TOP 10 tips to help you:
**Don't get U-verse phone for elderly people who should not be living alone!
1. We are open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Warning if you call in at 3 am you will likely get someone from overseas.
2. The RG - residential Gateway can be accessed and changed at 192.168.1.254 I do NOT recommend you making changes unless you KNOW what you are doing. If you drop your connection frequently with the wireless change network name & remove the number 2 from the beginning of the name, never start the name with a number, change the key to a non related phone number like your mothers home phone or something not related to you, but easy to remember! Be sure you have the right setting wpa/psk etc and finally change the wireless channel - be sure its not the same as your cordless phone, baby monitor or garage door opener - or the neighbors.
3. If you call tech support and the agent pauses, hesitates, says um - hold on, let me check on something that should be fairly simple or takes more than a few minutes to pull the information together (we use a database for help & support) then JUST HANG UP and call again. Really you will be more frustrated with a new or mis-guided agent than if you have to go thru the automated phone system again!
4. If you get a foreign agent ask for their name and ID should be xx1234 or x1234x - say "I want an American agent" then if they don't hang up on you and the hold time isn't so bad that you hang up they are REQUIRED to transfer you!
5. if you really do want a supervisor - say so! They are more experienced, they often have much more knowledge (at least in my office) and are very good at handling upset customers.
6. Be nice. We KNOW you are upset. If you swear at me I will politely ask you to stop twice, then I WILL hang up. If you scream in my ear, we wear headsets, you will not get all of the best of my help. I will do only what I have to and if you continue to scream after I ask you to stop I WILL HANG UP. I might be having a bad day too, but I will NEVER take it out on you. I don't take your problem personally and you are welcome to vent, politely, and I WILL do everything I can to help you. Really.
7. We really can run tests that do tell us a lot, if we were taught, or if we were capable of understanding it. I will admit I don't know what a lot of it means as far as how to repair it, but I do know what information to forward to the technician for repair. I may not know how to fix it but s/he does.
8 if the tech doesn't call by 30 minutes before the end of the dispatch time - you are scheduled 8-12 and its 1130 and no tech and no tech call, call AT&T and get an update on the appt. If the tech shows up and does a great job let us know and tell a MANAGER/SUPERVISOR, agents can't do anything. IF the tech is sloppy, smelly, or don't know what he is doing call us right away! During or after appt. We can get a FIELD supervisor to assist!
9 If someone isn't helping you ask for a supervisor! They may not be able to do much more but if they can't it likely cannot be done. We are restricted in what we can do. If all else fails, threaten to disconnect. MAGIC words.
10 PLEASE! get the agent id and name for EVERY call. When you get a survey PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fill it out and send it back! WE NEED them for our jobs! and by the way the rating system is if you say you are VERY SATISFIED = 5 score we pass anything else and we fail. It is not a 0-5 score it is 0 OR 5, there is nothing in between regardless of what you rank us. 0 to 4 equals 0.
Hope that helps. Have a great day.