Air France Complaint - Thrombophlebitis not good enough for refund
On the 26th of October I flew from San Diego to Berlin (via New York). Unfortunately, after 18 hours of traveling, crouched in tiny seats with no leg room (I'm 5 ft 4 inches tall and my knees were touching the seat in front of me) and seated in overheated waiting rooms literally sweating in the middle of winter - I ended up with a nasty life-threatening and painful thrombophlebitis. Many visits to the doctors, shots, medicine, more visits to the doctors, EKG, blood tests, ultra-sounds, etc...all in all, a very dangerous situation. My return flight is scheduled for the 18th of November (tomorrow) and flying is a risk to my life because of the possibility of throwing a clot into my lungs, heart or brain. But Air France doesn't care. If I don't fly tomorrow I will lose the entire balance of the ticket. I can pay $250 and fly before the 26th of November (too early say the doctors) or I will lose everything. To add insult to injury, Air France is telling me that might cost as much as $3000 to fly one-way back to the U.S. So here I am stranded in a foreign country with no way to make it home. Air France doesn't seem to care. I understand there are rules, but shouldn't a life-threatening blood clot which is made even more dangerous by change in pressure in an airplane cabin be reason to give a passenger an extension on their flight home? I feel sad and alone. Maybe I should fly, die of an embolism and let my children sue the airlines!!!?