Burlington Coat Factory Complaint - Incompetence of Employees
COLUMBUS, OHIO -- First Contact
On 2/12/2005 went to Burlington Coat Factory and ordered 3 pieces of furniture.
§ Vikki Convertible Crib by C&T
§ C&T 5-Drawer Chest
§ C&T Changing Table
Lisa was the sales person who assisted me on 2/12/2005. The computers were down so Lisa had to hand write the purchase order. Lisa walked me up front to put down a deposit (as Burlington does not allow you to pay in full for “special orders”) Lisa failed to get the deposit amount that I intended to put down. She assumed it was the standard 25%. I wanted to put $800.00 cash down. So they took the payment of $800.00 and kept the purchase order, as 25% down which was only $294.55 leaving the balance owed as $879.65. I questioned this and Lisa attempted to dismiss this because she did not want to rewrite the purchase order! So I asked for the manager and they had a gentleman by the name of Jay come and correct the purchase order by scratching out the balance and deposit sections and rewriting the new amounts and signing off on them.
In March the 3 pieces of furniture that I order had gone on sale. I called the store and spoke with Lisa who said that the sale did not count for “special orders”. So I asked Lisa the name of the Manager and when that person would be in. Lisa gave me the information. That following Friday night I came into the store and spoke with Rhonda. Rhonda had the already had everything prepared for me and gave me the sale price. So I asked for a copy of the receipt that she had with the sale information on it.
I called Baby Depot on Friday April 15th just out of curiosity to check on my order. I spoke with Rhonda who advised that the furniture was in. So I said great and I got off of the phone. A few minuets later I called the store back and spoke with Rhonda again just to ask her about transportation of the furniture, I told her that we have a Ford Explorer and wanted to know if that would be bid enough because I was not sure if the furniture was reassembled or not. Rhonda said that the chest and the changing table was already assembled and that we would need a bigger truck for that but the crib was not and we could probably fit that in to our Explorer.
On May 1, 2005 my husband, Steve, and his friend went to pick up the furniture. Upon arrival Steve walked into the desk paid the new remaining balance of $256.80. They got the chest and the changing table into the truck went back in to get the crib and the gentleman said that they could not find the crib. So Steve waited 45 minuets while the sales people looked for it. While waiting Rhonda had walked in from lunch and the gentleman asked Rhonda about the crib and she immediately stated that she was already aware of the situation and was looking into it. She then told Steve that there was nothing they could do besides call him later. So Steve left.
When I got home on Sunday May 1, 2005 evening at 5:45 PM we had not been contacted as of yet. They close at 6:00 PM. So I called the store and asked for Rhonda the Manager of Baby Depot. The guy who answered stated that she was outside at the moment. I said thank you I will hold. He said okay and placed me on hold. Rhonda finally got onto the phone and she immediately started off by apologizing. She said what happened is that another woman who was ordering the same furniture with the same last name was in the store and was very intimidating to the sales person. So the sales person gave her my crib. She said that she was not in the night that it happened!!! Rhonda stated that she has already contacted other stores to see if they might have the crib and they did not. So now they have to reorder the crib, which could take 10-16 weeks!!! Granted I due in 6 weeks!!! So what they will do in the mean time is give us the floor model that we can come and get! So naturally any “parent to be” concern would be safety? The question of safety with the floor model is that people shake, press, and pretty much do anything to cribs to check for sturdiness. The next point with safety is germs. There have been a lot of people who have touched the floor model. Rhonda said that that is all they can do until they get the crib in. She said once they get the crib in she will have it delivered and assemble for us on top of offering 10 % off our next purchase in there store. Which is laughable because there will be no next purchase in their store from me! I am registered with them and I will soon be undoing. So we ended on that note and left it up to me if we want the floor model or not.
May 2, 2005 I called the store and asked for Jeff the store manager. It was Jeff who answered the phone and so I asked him for the name of the District Manager as well as the phone number to the corporate office. Jeff stated that they currently did not have a District Manager and gave me that name of their Regional Manager who is Natalie Ordene and she is in Chicago. He then gave me the phone number to the corporate office, which is 609-387-7800. Jeff asked that I wait to call until he speaks with Rhonda to see about calling other stores. I tried to explain to Jeff that Rhonda has already tried to call the other stores and Jeff cut me off not even wanting to hear about the conversation that Rhonda and I had. So I said okay but I am still going to call corporate along with contacting the BBB.
I called the corporate office and left a voicemail for Dave the VP of the Baby Department.
May 2, 2005 Jeff called me at work around 11:30 to update me on what was happening. Jeff stated that he got in contact with Tony Winbush the District Manger for the Baby Depot Department. Jeff stated that Tony was getting in contact with the Buyers to get in contact with the manufacturers to see when the next shipment would be in.
May 2, 2005 Jeff called me at work at 12:20 PM and stated that my option from Tony is that the next shipment would be in at the end of May and that if I deliver early he will have the Maintenance lady wipe down the floor model crib and give it to us as a loaner until the new one arrives and that they will give us 20% off of the crib. I told Jeff that I did not want the floor model and that 20% off was laughable due to the fact that they gave my crib away to another person because they were intimidating! I told him that I have left a message with Dave the VP and I will await his call and deal with him.
May 3, 2005 I called the corporate office at 609-387-7800 and spoke with Joyce, Dave Statero’s assistant. She put through with Dave. Dave started off by apologizing and blaming it on a human mistake. He then got right into the situation and stated that he will not overnight the crib via FedEx as he has done this in the past with Cribs and they usually end up cracked. He said that they are better off being ground shipped. So he offered 20 % off of the crib when it arrived which will not be until the end of May and an instore gift certificate. I told Dave that 20% is not acceptable and that I do not want an instore GC, as I do not plan on ever shopping at their store again. I then stated that I am not sure if he is a parent or not but as any first time parent you want to be as prepared as possible and this was causing me not to be prepared. I told him that I want 40 % off of the crib and he said he couldn’t do 40% off. I then asked him if any stores have another crib that matches my furniture set. He knew the crib I was speaking of and he had Joyce on the line with us and asked her to look into that for me. He said they would look into that and call me back.
May 3, 2005 Joyce called and left me a voicemail at my work # stating that she has info regarding the other crib and to call her back.
May 3, 2005 I called Joyce back and she stated that the Dublin store has the other crib in and the name of it is “Madison” and they have placed it on hold. However it is $100.00 more than the crib that I purchased and they would like to extend the offer of 20% off so I would owe them the balance of the new crib versus the crib that I ordered. I told her my intention was not to buy that crib I just want that crib as a loaner crib until the crib that I ordered has come in. I also stated that I initially looked at that crib and did not like the look of it as well as the other crib so I did not want that crib for keeps. She said that her and Dave misunderstood me and she is not authorized to offer that. She said she would talk to Dave and call me back.
May 3, 2005 I got a voicemail from Tony Win bush on behalf of Dave. Tony stated that the final offer is 30% off of my crib when in comes in and the floor model as a loaner, which they will wipe down.
May 3, 2005 I called Joyce back and informed her to tell Dave that Tony’s offer was not acceptable and that the next contact would be from my lawyer. She said she would relay the message. So at this point I have acquired legal representation, filed a claim with the Attorney Generals Office, Filed a claim with the BBB, Called the news media, channel ABC 6 and FOX 28 to speak with a consumer reporter who reports on situations such as this. I have posted feedback on two consumer websites to inform other people. I also have informed my OB who stated that they would never go to Burlington as they have had issues with them in the past. My OB stated that this is good info as their office comes into contact with pregnant women day in and day out and she will spread the word.
May 3, 2005 Joyce and Dave were on the line and Dave thought that I might have misinterpreted Tony’s offer. They want to offer 30% off and a new out of the box loaner crib that might not match my set. I said I do not care I do not want a floor model and I would accept this. So Dave said that he would contact Tony who would be in contact with me.
May 3, 2005 Tony called me and said that I will need to come back into the store for the credit and that the manager can deliver the loaner crib tomorrow and wanted to know what time was good for me. I said I planned on coming into the store to revoke my registry tonight so I can get the refund then. We then talked about the delivery of the loaner crib and I stated that I had an appt. in the morning at 9:45 AM and Tony said it could be anytime in the afternoon and I just said name a time I can be there. Tony said that I could also get it if I wanted tonight when I go to the store. I said that is fine I asked if there would be some one there to load it into my car and he said yes.
May 3, 2005 I arrived at the Dublin store and there was nobody in the Baby Depot department so my mother and I walked up to the service desk and asked for the manager on duty. They called a gentleman named Mike who came to the front and asked us to pull our car around so they could load the crib. I told Mike that I wanted my baby registry deleted he said okay we will do that. Mike then went outside and got another man who was smoking out front to help with the 30% refund. I did not get this persons name. He went behind the counter got out some paper work and asked me to sign a receipt in order to get the refund before signing I asked the amount which was around $64.00 I immediately questioned the refund amount as I had pre-calculated the amount I should have received before entering the store. He tried to state that I only paid $209.99 for the crib. I paid a sale price of $269.99, which with tax should be $86.46. He said that this was what was in the email from Tony and that was all he was allowed to offer. I said forget it I will contact Dave back in the morning and started to raise my voice so that all customers in the front new my situation and said I still expect the loaner crib and I do not accept the refund. Another person came and loaded the loaner crib and off I went with another trip wasted.
May 4, 2005 I called Monroe Milstein’s extension, as I am tired of dealing with incompetent people I spoke to Terry his assistant who advised that I need to speak with Carole Abbott. I then got Carole Abbott’s assistant who was very nice and informative. FINALLY a person who understood the situation and she asked me to send all information via email. Please note that I checked online today and my name has not been removed from the registry! We will see how the saga pans out!
More Reviews on Burlington Coat Factory: