Sunday, June 30th, my AC stopped blowing out cold air. We called the First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation to file a claim and have the AC fixed. No one returned our call. The following day, we called and got confirmation that Glatfelter & Sons would come out and service our AC on Wednesday July 2nd. A technician came out and put in so much Freon in our unit that his bottle froze up. We had to provide a bucket of hot water. Later that day, I came home from work and the AC unit was making a god-awful noise like metal on metal. I had to shut the AC off, call the home warranty company to get someone out to figure out what happened. I called the AC technician too who did not return my calls. The warranty company assured me they would find someone immediately and they would call me back. Surprisingly enough, they did not.
Thursday, July 3rd, I called the warranty company several times as did my husband to find out the status of the claim and to find out when a technician would be dispatched to resolve the issue. I have severe allergies and take prescription medication Xyzal, Nasonex and Arbuterol. With the windows open for 5 days, the grass pollen also being high, I have to take Benadryl on top of that medication (50mg) every six hours making me zombie like an unable to function. I made this a medical claim with the warranty company who assured me that they would get emergency dispatch to find us a contractor.
Friday, July 4th, the second contractor came out and looked at our unit. He was extremely knowledgeable and competent. We told him what the first technician did and he was stumped. In all of his experience and his boss's experience (30+ years), he has NEVER heard of anyone using that much Freon on an AC unit. He told us the guy had blown the compressor and the condenser and evaporator coil would need to be replaced. He called the warranty company who was only going to pay him for 3 hours of his time even though he had been at our house with travel time 4 hours. He lives in Lebanon and we are located an hour and a half away in Hanover. So, he left.
Later that day, after much arguing, I was talking with Eileen (a supervisor with First American), who went back and said that they decided to approve the second technician after all. She had originally said that they were going to hire a third company to come out and give an estimate to fix our unit....which makes no sense when the competent technician was already there and could have got the process of repair started. The hold up with the warranty company then became the paperwork. They needed to have the quote in writing to break down the cost of the job. Every day, for five days, the contractor faxed and called in the price. The warranty company kept claiming they did not have the information.
Wednesday, July 9th - Spoke to Angela (another supervisor) assured me that she would personally call the contractor and get the information, get the job approved and have our AC fixed. She assured me that a third technician would not have to be hired that they were going with the second company.
Thursday, July 10th - Spoke to Daniel (another supervisor) at the warranty company. They rejected the second company's bid and were going with a third technician. The third company would call us by EOB Thursday. Daniel would also call us back and let us know the status. Again, no one returned our call. We called again and spoke to a claims representative on the main number. All the supervisor extensions we have gone straight to voice mail. This person told us that a contractor (All Done Mechanical) was hired to be our third technician and would contact us by EOB. Angela called and left a message that she was personally taking care of this claim and would have an answer and a technician for us...even though we were told by someone else that a third contractor was already hired.
Friday, July 11th - We are currently on hold with a third supervisor on this one call (it's been 2 hours of arguing). They do not have a third company hired. They are going to go with the second company and want to call us back. We are refusing to get off the phone until we have an appointment to get the AC fixed. Now they are back on the phone saying they are trying to get a third company and are not going with the second one. FREAKING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Sunday, July 13th â We still do not have an appointment set for a third technician to come out. Weâve spoken to Eileen (#3627), Angela (#2422), Noel (#3560), Daniel (#2978), Karen (#2381) and Serena (#4040). Weâve left messages repeatedly with all of them including Wiley (#2224) and Porsche (#4834). Serena said she would call in 30 minutes, itâs almost an hour.
We had to stay at a hotel for two days because my allergies were killing me. Tonight we are back home and it's 95 degrees outside right now.
I have 4 pages of all the calls logged just by myself. They do not include all the calls my husband has made for the last 14 days.
I am frustrated and confused as to how they are allowed to operate as a business. Their first technician destroyed our AC unit. The second one could have fixed it. They didnât like the price of the second one so they want to go with a third one but now are going back to the second oneâ¦allegedly. The bottom line is that they said we can call our own contractor and get reimbursed by the warranty company. We are not going to do that, because I am pretty confident they will refuse to pay us.