ServiceMaster Complaint - Caused twice the problem they were called in for! - Burlington, VT
BURLINGTON, VERMONT -- After having an ice jam this past winter we needed a drying company to come in and mitigate the mold. Servicemaster was prompt but quickly cut a hole in the ceiling near the ice jam and proceeded to blow warm air right up onto the roof. This was after my questioning and speaking with a manager who insisted that this was normal practice. Needless to say, the ice jam problem quickly tripled in size.
During this same visit the Servicemaster representative cut out part of our downstairs bathroom ceiling due to water damage. While doing this, balanced on the tub and toilet he broke the toilet bowl. Have they ever heard of a step ladder? This was the least of the problem as vermiculite came pouring down on the service tech. Not knowing the dangers of asbestos in vermiculite we didn't immediately question his cursory sweeping of the debris and the fans that they, once again, turned on to dry things out. Needless to say we were mortified when another professional warned us of the dangers of vermiculite and couldn't believe how they turned the high power blowers on and didn't isolate the area.
After much hoopla with the insurance company we were relocated for several days while another independent contractor in New Jersey checked the vermiculite samples for asbestos. Lucky there was none. When questioned the manager stated that they had NO policy for vermiculite.
I had to fire the company and nearly stand in between our roofing contractor who was called in to chop the massive ice off the roof above where they were pumping in hot air. I truly believe he was mad enough to flatten the manager. What a mess.
DO NOT use this company. Try Servpro. When they came in the first thing they did was give us their hazardous materials information and deal with the problem in an intelligent manner.
More Reviews on ServiceMaster: