Beware of foreign objects in your food!
TUKWILA, WASHINGTON -- On Saturday, February 4th, 2006, while enjoying a rare night-out with the family, our daughter discovered a used food handler's glove in half of what was left of the gravy served on her "Goldrush Chicken." There is nothing that can describe the sinking feeling that comes over a parent when they see their child exposed to this type of reckless endangerment. Finding that used glove in the gravy put an abrupt end to our meal.
We called the manager to our table. Yes – the entire meal was comp’d. The manager apologized for the error, offered us free desserts, and said the chef had been alerted and full report prepared for the corporate office. These are basic customer service consequences that would be expected in such a situation. However this does not change the fact that the glove somehow found its way into the gravy.
Somehow that glove was missed by the person serving the gravy in the kitchen. The line manager missed it when the plate was put up for delivery; the room server, and the waitress all missed it. In the dim dining room light, our daughter thought it was melted cheese - until she snared it with her fork.
No doubt, the report to corporate included statements like – “We were very busy,” “There were many orders in process,” “The glove was immersed in the gravy and was similar in color.” These are nothing more than excuses - excuses that reinforce a disregard for customer health and safety. This restaurant is ALWAYS busy and there are always many orders in process. It behooves all restaurateurs to ensure that their employees are adequately trained in food safety and consistently use safe food-handling methods – this includes proper disposal of used gloves and inspecting plates prior to delivery to the customer.
We will be watching our daughter very closely over the next couple of weeks to ensure sure she does not display any sign of illness. So buyer beware - check your meal as soon as it arrives to ensure there are no surprises being served with your food. We will never eat at Claim Jumpers again.