The Worst, Most Disorganized Corporate Entity I've Ever Dealt With
NEW YORK -- I had left Time Warner after 5 years of their service because prices just kept increasing. Meanwhile, Dish Network was offering Satellite packages with tons of channels, high speed internet, and home phone for literally 60% off the Time Warner Price. "How could I go wrong?" I thought. I wish I had never gone further than the thought.
When I signed up, I was told "Your first month will be free. You'll pay nothing for 60 days (except the signup fee which was relatively cheap). And when your first bill comes in, it should be approx. $60 since you've signed up as a part of this promo. All subsequent bills will be $60 as well. Its that simple!" Apparently it wasn't that simple. First bill arrived within 14 days to the tune of $280. Needless to say, I called to inquire and lodge a complaint if need be. This is where Dish Network TRIES to excel. You don't get pushed around from faceless representative to faceless representative with each call. Instead, the person you speak to gives you his/her name, their direct phone number, they act like your buddy, and tell you "If you ever have ANY problems, you call me directly. I'm your guy/girl! I'll be here to help you." That, to me, sounded great. Personalized service. And should anything go wrong (again), I have a name and a direct line of a person to either fix it OR hold accountable. Well, Cheryl was the first name. She signed me up. I suppose it should have struck me a bit odd that the person who signed me up was also volunteering to be my customer service/tech support person but it didn't. I called Cheryl when I got my bill, one month early and $220 higher than I was told it would be. Cheryl never answered. She never returned calls either. This went on for a week or two before finally, after pressing a number of different menu options, I got someone on the phone. Carl. Carl apologized profusely but told me the problem was, Cheryl incorrectly coded everything on my account. Thus, the overcharge. "I see" I said. "Can you just go ahead and fix that for me?"
"I can't" said Carl. "Once its in the system, there's no way to change it. But what I can do is throw a number of credits and promo codes on there to get us down to around $60." This is just downright laughable. A major cable/ISP company is running off computer systems that don't allow for changes to customer accounts?! Whatever. As long as my bill goes back to where it should be... the "credit / coding" issue is theirs to deal with. Not mine. Now mind you, I'm still on the phone with Carl every week because the wireless they promise is not only slower than advertised, it drops virtually once every hour. In the first 6 months, I went through at least 4 modems and routers. Had visits from 2 or 3 techs to examine the wiring into the wall. Nothing seemed to work. The wireless was just terrible. And... Carl told me that it was likely going to remain that way because I was on the very edge of their service area. And since its DSL... nothing they could really do. "Well, why wasn't I told about this when I signed up Carl?" He apologized. Gave me more credits and got my bill down to $0 for the next 2-3 months. Which was great... except I still couldn't use the wireless and, if there was even a slight breeze, the satellite signal was disrupted.
Two months later... bill arrives for $190. I call Carl. I call Carl again because he doesn't answer. Carl never answers and never returns calls anymore. At this point, I'm not only livid from billing issues. I'm also pissed because my wireless is half the speed promised AND drops constantly. Also, my satellite picture not only goes out in the rain, it gets disrupted with even the slightest breeze. I walked outside and saw the dish actually shaking with each tiny gust. So they sent a tech. The tech discovered it was put too close to the edge of the roof and thus, half of the mount was fastened to nothing but shingles. As dumb as that is, his solution was just as dumb. He added a brace to the base... essentially bracing it to OTHER loose shingles too close to the edge of the roof. NO ONE could figure out the wireless problem. AT ALL.
After never hearing from Carl again, I got Craig (what was with this company and hiring people who's names only start with 'C'?). Craig sent a new tech out to the house to fix the dish. And this guy was smarter. He removed the dish and remounted it to actual roof. Not just shingles. But the wireless was beyond him. Couldn't figure that one out at all. So now I had halfway decent TV (it still sucked in the rain but at least on a sunny day I was able to watch), the wireless still sucked, but at least, thanks to Craig... I was paying nothing. For about 2-3 months.
Then I got another bill. Another ridiculous amount. At the same time, I have someone from Dish in my house trying to figure out what the issue is with the wireless (which, at this point) is useless. Finally, I called Dish, told them I was breaking the contract early and frankly, I didn't care how much they had wanted to charge me for it. They'd never see the money from me anyway. I had endured 11 months of terrible customer service and horrific wireless service. I was done and moving on. Didn't matter the cost and nothing they could say would keep me behind.
Finally, they agreed to let me go at no cost. The upside was... for the 11 months I was a customer, I paid next to nothing. The downside was... I paid next to nothing because I actually got nothing but headaches and occasional TV. Oh, and the landline that I never used.
i went back to Time Warner and, within 10 minutes of the setup with Time Warner, the tech they had sent to install everything found the wiring problem that created the crap internet. I've been good at Time Warner ever since.