Bad Service And The Worst Customer Service Imaginable
NEW YORK, NEW YORK -- Honestly, the WORST customer service I have ever dealt within my entire life. If you would like to be charged for services you're not even signed up for, spoken down to over the phone on a monthly basis, and burdened with having to call EACH MONTH to fix numerous shortcomings on RCN's end, then this company is perfect for you!
I moved into an apt on the East side in November and in the past 7 months, I have only received a correct bill ONCE from RCN. Some of their mistakes entail:
1) Several months, we were charged for services we didn't even have/sign up for
2) One month, our wireless box died and we were instructed that we had to wait "2 weeks for someone to come out or travel to an RCN store to pick up a new one" (which we inevitably visited since we rely on wireless for our work) and were promised a discount for our services that month... which we never saw.
3) We called to program the RCN remote to our new TV and instead of walking us through the instructions, the RCN representative cancelled ALL of our services and then apologized as she transferred us to someone else so he/she could fix HER mistakes (we were, no joke, on the phone with RCN for 1.5 hours fixing the mistakes she made that night).
4) One day, we were called and told that we needed to update our phone. Fine. We signed up for the 11AM-2PM window and the RCN representative came at 8 AM! Once I was informed of this by our doorman, I called the company and informed them of their mistake, to which they apologized and offered to send someone else out. The next person begrudgingly paid us a visit and insisted that we needed a new phone number for the new phone cables he was installing (we were never told about this in advance). Fine. He replaces the phone and instructs us to call RCN sometime later that month to ensure we're not getting billed for 2 phone lines... really? This is our responsibility?
5) We recently switched the main name on the account since a roommate of mine was moving out and RCN DOUBLE-BILLED us! When I called and asked why we received a bill for the same amount the following week (we had paid the total last week under my roommate's name since we are very punctual about bill payments) assuming this was the last bill under her name, we were told that we would have to pay the second bill we received, that RCN would not cancel our old checks (we would have to wait on them to issue us a refund check.. like THAT would ever happen.. or pay out of pocket to cancel our checks when all we were doing was following orders!), and that we would be charged a late fee if we chose to wait for the refund before we paid that month's bill. The representative also warned us that we may have to call RCN and remind them next month since "they're likely to forget" even though she wrote this down in the notes section of our account!!!! Essentially, RCN mistakenly double-billed us, we responsibly paid the first bill on time, and they threatened US with a late fee if we didn't pay the "correct" bill on time. They refused to transfer the funds over to the new account. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.
6) Our last bill was FOUR TIMES higher than its supposed to be, and we added ZERO services nor did any promotion expire. Why are we suddenly being charged more? Your guess is as good as mine.
All in all, YOU will be penalized for RCN's shortcomings. The company is absolutely horrendous and the customer service is appalling. We are desperately searching for a new cable/wireless provider because dealing with RCN has proven to be more of a nightmare than any of us would've ever imagined. Please, spare yourselves the trouble. Even if it costs a bit more money to track down a different provider, it will be well worth it in the end.