DirecTV, Inc. Informative - Bait And Switch And More Lies
From the very first contact to even a supervisor who claimed he would help I have been blatantly lied to directly or lied to by omission. I will expect ALL of the charges on my debit MasterCard refunded and expect someone from your company to respond in a timely manner and let me know where I can return equipment at no charge to me. Besides the initial call to DIRECTV, Inc., I have been treated as if I'm mixed up, lying, or just plain stupid by your staff, but rest assured I'm none of those things. Also, rest assured that if this matter is not rectified to my satisfaction in a timely manner I will have my legal department take over the situation.
As I have repeated my story several times to several of DIRECTV, Inc's employees here is what I was initially told to start up the account:
1. Jasmine (employee ID 2071320) over and over again stated that she could get the deal advertised on the Television that I was looking right at as I spoke to her and beat the deal I currently had with Comcast Cable. She promised 150 channels for $29.95/mo plus tax.for 12 months and then on the 13th month it would change to $39.95/mo for the duration of my account.
2. Jasmine told me I would receive 32 additional premium channels free for 3 months and then I could cancel with no penalty or fee. I really didn't want the premium channels and told her that, but she talked me into this saying it was free and it would be nice for the rest of the winter and into spring to have movies to watch in the event of poor weather (it's been freezing and bad weather in MI)
3. As the Television commercial stated there was a free HD or DVR offer available if I "act now". Jasmine confirmed that I would get the free DVR offer. I asked her repeatedly, "Now, this isn't going to cost me anything extra right?" I repeated several times, "There will NEVER be any charges or fees or any extra added to my bill of $29.95/mo plus tax, right?" She repeated what I had said and added "Free DVR - FOREVER"- I wrote it down.
4. I asked how much would it cost me to get started. She said it wouldn't cost me anything. No equipment fee, no hook up fee. No money out of pocket to switch to DIRECTV, Inc.
5. I told her how Comcast didn't charge for any additional TV's. She said I could get up to 4 free. Again, I kept asking her what is my total bill now. She said it's still $29.95/mo plus tax. I told asked her to tell me if I said anything that would change my monthly bill of $29.95/ mo plus tax and that was ALL I wanted to spend to switch to DIRECTV, Inc. She kept assuring me, "Your total monthly bill will be $29.95/ mo plus tax until the 13th month when it will go to $39.95/mo."
6. Jasmine offered a $50 gift certificate if I signed up for Auto Pay. I agreed and she asked for my credit card.
The Technician, Dyami, arrived on 2/26/08 to set up my service. I told him I only had 3 TV's but was considering getting a 4th. He said, "Well, the boxes rent for $4.95 so you might as well wait." This was a complete shock to me and I immediately got on the phone with Dyami listening and spoke to "Todd" from Colorado who said he would help me and he didn't know why Jasmine didn't tell me about the rental fees. He said he would speak to a supervisor about getting the fees removed. I then started getting nervous about the rest of the things Jasmine told me so I clarified the other terms I had taken note of from my start up phone call. He agreed to what I said, but put me on hold for a while and then all of a sudden I was clicked/transferred asked for prompts again and "Todd" was gone.
"Melissa" from Alabama got on the phone and couldn't tell me how to get back on the phone with "Todd" so I had to tell my story all over again. I recited everything I was supposed to be getting over again and Melissa indicated all was true except that there would be a rental fee for each additional TV which would be an additional $9.98/mo and that it was a "legitimate charge". I went over what my notes said from my conversation with Jasmine when I set up the account. I asked Melissa, "So are all the other things Jasmine told me true?" and she said, "Yes".
I asked the Technician, if there were any cases of this happening before and should I expect any other surprises he said "no". He heard everything I was saying about what I expected to get and never said a word to the contrary. He never mentioned anything else about my bill, fees or contract after that.
1. I was shocked to get a bill in the mail for a "handling fee" for $ 19.95 plus tax after I had been promised free set up NO out of pocket costs to switch from Comcast to DIRECTV, Inc.
2. I was even more shocked to get another very confusing bill for $70.57. It states my monthly bill would be $59.99 plus tax not the $29.95/mo as promised.
3. There was nothing about a $50 gift for Auto pay on my account per Supervisor, "Jason" of Pennsylvania (I47)
4. On the confusing bill was language of "agreeing to pay for 18 consecutive months (24 mos. advanced receiver) of a $29.95/mo. or above programing package, $5.99/mo DVR service.......etc." I NEVER AGREED TO ANYTHING OF THE SORT AND I DO NOT AGREE TO ANY SORT OF CONTRACT! This was NEVER disclosed to me by any of the DIRECTV, Inc. employees that I spoke to up until this point. Supervisor "Jason" (Id # I47) said that this all must have been disclosed to me. When I asked when and how this was disclosed to me, he faltered and changed his answer 3 times. I finally asked for him for the third time when and how I was to have agreed to these "disclosures" and he said Jasmine would had to have gone through each disclosure on the her computer screen with me and then the final agreement was giving my credit/debit card #. JASMINE NEVER WENT THROUGH ANY DISCLOSURE SCREENS WITH ME---NO ONE WENT THROUGH ANY DISCLOSURES WITH ME!!!!! But, Jasmine told me the only reason she needed my credit card # was to give me a $50 gift and set me up for Auto Pay!!!!
4. A protection plan was added to my account with out my permission- Jason removed
5. Jason down graded my service to 29.95/mo omitting the $10 charge would be added to cancel /downgrade services was added to my bill that he never disclosed.
6. I now have 45 channels of which most are children channels, shopping channels and DirecTV channels. There are less than 10 channels I would watch.
7. I now don't get the promised 32 premium channels free for 3 months.
8. My bill is now actually $15.97/mo plus tax higher than Comcast for 1/4 of the channels I was getting with Comcast.
I am very discouraged that a company could do this to someone in this day and age. I see online that I'm not the only one. Please credit my account for all charges and cancel my service. I will need something in writing explaining where to drop off the equipment.