PLYMOUTH, MINNESOTA -- This year marks the first year my family will celebrate Christmas in a house of our own. My husband and I chose K-mart for our decorations, because the ornaments are beautiful and affordable. They even have beautiful ribbons to hang the ornaments with, instead of those ugly metal hooks. We opted for the ribbons, not only because they looked good, but because we have a 16month old daughter. We thought they would be safer than hooks. So, while my husband was out getting an extra strand of lights, I stayed home with my daughter, to tie the ribbons on the ornaments. (sadly, they came pre-tied, so I had to untie them first, but no biggie) My daughter cam over to see what I was doing and picked up an ornament. now, we only got a few ornament that were glass, for safety reasons, and we planned to put them high enough on the tree that she couldn't reach them. the one she picked up happened to be glass, so I immediately reached for it to take it away. before I could get to it, it exploded in her face! tons of tiny glass chards all over the place! she is fine.
She has a small cut on her face and was really scared, because I screamed and grabbed her off the floor so fast. She had glass pieces in her mouth, eye, and nose, but we managed to get them all out. A visit to the ER proved that she hadn't swallowed any, so all is OK. My local Kmart was nice enough to take back the unopened package was well as the package with the broken ball. We got some shatterproof plastic ornaments from the same collection. Just a word to the wise to be careful with these balls.
A visit to Martha Stewarts website just sent me back to Kmart's website. I know Kmart did not design these products, so I didn't bother to email them . I hope no one else has something like this happen to them. It was the worst experience in my 16 short months of motherhood.